Not everyone in the world speaks English. The Portuguese language is the eighth most spoken language in the world. It makes sense to learn Portuguese because after English and Spanish, it is the third most spoken European language in the world. Many words in Portuguese are shared with the five Romance languages, which are languages that originate from Latin. It is not that difficult to learn Portuguese. In fact, you know some words from the Portuguese language already, such as flamingo and cobra. The Portuguese language originated in Europe but most of the world's Portuguese speaking people live in South America.
Why learn Portuguese?
- Learning Portuguese means another unique skill for your CV.
- The process of mastering new languages heightens your cognitive abilities.
- Portuguese allows you to travel comfortably around countries independently.
- Achieving fluency opens up business opportunities in Portugal or South America.
Language learning methods
There are many varied ways of learning Portuguese, depending on why people need to learn Portuguese and what they hope to achieve. Some people learn better with audio than visual cues while others learn better in a group or on their own. Here is a summary of different types of learning and their advantages and disadvantages:
Classroom Teaching/Night school
- Pros: Ability to practice with other students. / Access to support from the teacher. / Both audio and visual stimuli.
- Cons: Can remind you of school and you may feel inhibited in such an environment. / Cost commitment. / Work at the pace of the average student. / Potential exam pressure.
Books, CDs and tapes
- Pros: Work at your own pace and at times to suit you.
- Cons: No opportunity to practice or receive feedback in a live environment. / Might lose momentum.
Hire A Tutor
- Pros: Expert one-to-one help.
- Cons: Expensive.
Live in the Country
- Pros: Total language immersion.
- Cons: Not very practical for the average person.
Online courses and apps
- Pros: Flexible. / Only requiring laptop and/or smart phone.
- Cons: Can be expensive.
Learning Portuguese with Babbel
What if you could learn Portuguese at a reasonable cost, in a completely different way utilising new technology to maximise your reading, writing, listening skills so that you are constantly engaged and interested? New vocabulary and grammar is retained in your memory via a new fun method of learning Portuguese which is designed by specialists. Internet and mobile technology provides a complete and easy way to enable you to speak the Portuguese language quickly and effortlessly, regardless of your initial knowledge, via a personalised plan which reflects your personal learning style. You can practise your pronunciation on any of your multimedia devices that have a microphone and flash player, and you can even practice your new Portuguese language skills in our interactive community. Why shouldn’t learning to speak the Portuguese language be fun and stress-free, without costing an exorbitant upfront fee? Babbel.com offers a convenient, ad-free, exciting new way to learn Portuguese in a way that suits you.